Hucclecote were restricted again this week with only a bare seven players. Hannah Leger stepped in to join the defensive line up as Toni Lowery was out due to injury.

Hucclecote had the first centre pass, but were unable to secure a goal and allowed Old Chelts to take an early lead, with a centre pass in hand. It was a nervous start by Hucclecote as Old Chelts netted again, giving them a two goal lead. As the quater progressed Old Chelts took control of the game with accurate shooting and quick dynamic netball which unsettled Hucclecote’s play down the court. Old Chelts successfully restricted Hucclecote’s options, which resulted in forced balls, some poor passing and long shots being put up. At the end of the first quater Old Chelts had secured a strong lead.

Yet Hucclecote were determined to turn it around. The second quater saw Hucclecote fight hard to reduce the goal difference. With well read interceptions from the defensive unit Hannah, Lucy and Arnie, Hucclecote began to reduce the gap and get back into the game. Yet Hucclecote still had a high error rate with some missed shots, forced balls and a lack of options throughout court. However, the squad applied pressure throughout the court which forced Old Chelts too began to make errors.

By half time, Hucclecote had done well to reduce the gap and went out to the third quater feeling positive that they could secure a lead. It soon became a well contested game, though neither team were taking full advantage of their opportunities. Hucclecote’s defensive unit worked tiresly to pressure the shooters, which resulted in missed shots and Hucclecote securing the rebound. Hucclecote proved their determination to remain undefeated and during this quarter found themselves with an equal number of goals to Old Chelts. Hucclecote now needed to take control and play sensible netball. The pressure began to affect Old Chelts whose earlier consistent shooting, became inconsistent which enabled Hucclecote to eventually take the lead for the first time in the game.

Yet during the last quater, Hucclecote had not secured a strong lead. With only minutes to go Hucclecote were leading by just one goal and Old Chelts had the opportunity to net with a centre in hand. Defensive pressure successfully denied the shooters from scoring and Hucclecote regained possession. Yet, the pressure was definately becoming a factor as opportunites to extend the lead were not taken and the game remained neck and neck with just one goal keeping Hucclecote in the lead.

Hucclecote sensibly began playing possession, knowing there could only be a minute if not seconds to go. This denied Old Chelts from further opportunities to take possession and score and eventually the final whistle went. Hucclecote won by just one goal.

This was by far Hucclecote’s toughest game as Old Chelts put them under pressure from the very start. Technically, this was not Hucclecote’s best game , but the determination and fighting spirit saw that they would not be defeated!

A fantastic determined effort by all on court (including both Emma and Flo who were not feeling 100% on the day).

Coach: Stella 

Squad: Hannah Leger, Lucy Werrell, Arnie Brown, Kate Nicholls (C), Emma Mckenzie, Charlotte Olley, Flo Edwards

Player of the Match: Lucy Werrell